Enhancing your beautiful home in Los Angeles doesn’t always mean finding ways to revitalize your interior design or improving upon an existing space. Sometimes, it means finding ways to get greater use out of your property, such as building or remodeling a portion of your property to accommodate an accessory dwelling unit (ADU). But what should your ADU look like, and what considerations will you need to make once you start building it? If you think an ADU would be a great addition to your property, here are some tips on creating the perfect ADU layout!
Discover Which ADU Style Is Most Appealing to You
Before you start looking for ADU layout ideas to spark inspiration for your own home project, it can be helpful to know exactly which type of ADU you want to build on your property. As we’ve covered in the past, some of the options you have at your disposal include:
- ADUs that are attached to the main house (these can either be completely new buildings or converted spaces like an attached garage)
- ADUs that are built above the home, like converted attics
- ADUs separate from the home and located somewhere else on the property (for which you will need to consider ADU kitchen ideas and more for your space)
Figuring out which ADU option is most appealing to you will help you see exactly what you can accomplish with your space and what the end product will look like. See what the full potential of your property is by considering each of the ADU types above.
Ask Yourself, What Will My ADU Accomplish?
There are plenty of stunning ADU layout ideas out there, but the design is only one aspect of your ADU. Functionality is one major factor that should not be overlooked when you’re planning to add an ADU to your property. For example, if you’re looking to create extra space where friends and family can stay when they visit you, choosing an ADU that is connected to the house (whether it be above or an addition). If, on the other hand, you’re looking for an ADU to accommodate someone like a live-in nanny, having an ADU that’s elsewhere on the property may be a better option.
Consider some of the reasons why you’re looking to build an ADU so you can determine what type of ADU will be most helpful in your situation and find ADU layout ideas more effectively. Many Southern California homeowners opt to use their accessory unit as an additional income stream to help with their mortgage, for example, which requires following certain regulatory and zoning guidelines.
What Can You Do With an ADU?
Now that we’ve worked through some of the more critical details of your ADU, we can start taking a closer look at the finer details and developing more focused layouts like ADU kitchen ideas and beyond! What can you truly do with an ADU?
- Create your own work-from-home office: Throughout the pandemic, working remotely has become a major trend, but working from inside the house isn’t always conducive to full focus. Get more out of your unused space by designing a detached or attached home office space where you can work in peace and quiet and have everything you need for success at your disposal!
- Generate monthly income with a small rental property: One of the most popular ADU layout ideas is having an ADU that doubles as a rental property. Creating a detached ADU complete with its own small and charming kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, and living area can help you develop that extra income stream you need.
- Make your friends and family feel more at home when they stay with you: Is that extra bedroom just not doing it for you or your guests? Offering an ADU as a place to stay for both short-term and long-term space makes your space more accomodating for everyone involved. Consider the previous suggestions for making a home away from home space for your friends or family or even transform your attic or basement into its own small apartment for your guests.
Entertain often? Create a space that’s perfect for your weekend bashes: One of the best ADU layout ideas for homeowners who love to entertain is a guest space where you can host multiple individuals or even one that acts as its own game room. When it comes to an ADU that’s designed to help you have even more fun on your property, the possibilities are endless!
Ready to Create Your Perfect ADU?
Do you have the perfect ADU layout in mind? Get started on your project with the help of A-List Builders! With over 10 years of experience developing beautiful ADUs and tackling whole home remodels, we handle everything for you from concept to completion to provide you with the final result you want without any of the hassle you don’t. Schedule a discovery call today to see if we can work with you to make your ADU layout ideas a reality!